Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What You Taught Me..

Many of you know that my Grandmother has been battling cancer for the past few months. Last night she decided to let go. She was at home with my mother, Grandfather and two of my aunts by her side. If you ask me, I think she knows Green Bay is going to the Superbowl and she wanted to be able to be there. She's always been one with a plan.
Remarkable doesn't begin to describe her and full isn't close to the adjective
necessary to relay the life that she had. I spent a few weeks with her every summer for years and she is a major reason that I am the person that I am. My mother and I would call her our own personal Julie Andrews (with the voice and all. She even sang at the Grand Ole Opry). If you have ever seen the Disney Movie, Princess Diaries where Mia is going through "Princess Lessons", you know what some of my summer's were like. I'll never forget going on a walk with her and her looking at me and saying, "Scottie, you walk like a farmer. A lady should walk as if she has eggs shells under her feet..."
The lessons that she taught me will stay with me forever. I don't know if she could even ever comprehend how instrumental she was to me in my life. I wanted to dedicate this blog to her, and write a very little excerpt of them;
To My Grandmother Jackie: The Lessons You Taught Me
~ You taught me that you can fight with the men in a "man's world" and win, but still be a lady.
~ You also taught me that a "lady never says the word shit".
~ But you added the lesson "there is a time and place you need to be a lady and a time and place you don't".
~ You taught me the importance of how you present yourself and the effect of the first impression.
~ You taught me that Christianity is about love, that worship is from your heart and not from words, that a prayer does not have to be long, and the inside story of what saying "bless your heart" to a more frustrating individual is.
~ And you showed me, inside story or not, you always meant it.
~ You were the first to tell me never to bring up politics or religion in a social environment.
~ You forgave me because I always failed.
~ You were the first one to teach me and push the importance of taking care of my body as much as my mind and soul. From beauty products for your skin, vitamins for your health, buying my first yoga tape, and taking me on extra long bike rides and walks. (And yes Grandma Jackie, I still remember that you could out-ride me on most occasions..)
Grandmother Jackie, Grandpa Bob, Myself and My Mom
~ You taught me how to set a table, sit like a lady, eat soup, eat salad, use my napkin, drink tea, and all the many other nuances of etiquette that are so important and lacking in society today. I wish you knew how much more confident I have been in so many settings because I knew these like the back of my hand. Thank you.
~ You taught me that I should expect to be treated like a lady and a woman, but never rely on a man.
~ You taught me the appropriate arm pump maneuver and "woot woot" for a Greenbay Packers game.
~ When Uncle Greg was in the house, you taught me that Cowboy Fans need love too (Aj appreciates that).
~ You taught me what it means to be able to sing, actually sing, from the heart, with your amazing voice. "The Old Rugged Cross" will never be the same.

Grandmother Jackie Graefe. I love you. You helped me become the woman I am today. I owe you so much. I miss you now and will always miss you. The last time we talked you told me that you are proud of me. I want you to keep watch on me Grandma, I want to continue to make you proud. I promise that if I ever get the chance to debate Ann Coulter, I'll set her straight, and I'll do it for you.

I will not be there this Saturday, but I know you aren't upset. You are always with me and we said our goodbyes. Tell Mimi I said hello and remember in Heaven, no politics or religion, I know you forget sometimes too.

~~Your Granddaughter, Scottie

 PS: You can read her obituary here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute. Thanks for sharing her with us.

Two Sticks Photography said...

Yes, thank you for sharing Scottie. I'm so sorry for your loss. This was so beautiful.....

Sabrina C. said...

Many thoughts your way.

Aunt Lori said...

I just wanted to remind you how much AJ was in her prayers, she so wanted to meet him. She spoke of him often....Thanks for this tribute. She did teach you well...
AL

Post a Comment