Sunday, November 20, 2011

Kids - 2, AJ - 0

My poor softy husband. Friday night we had our second attempt at watching SD's little girls. This time AJ was a little more prepared regarding the bedtime issue we had the last time. He clarified with SD whether or not the girls would stay the entire night before they even came over (they were) and bought groceries to make them breakfast the next morning. (He wanted to make them eggs, bacon, and toast and I insisted he buy turkey bacon and cook the eggs healthily.) 

Love it & it was a hit w/ the girls!
A little more prepared regarding the situation, the 7 and 9 year old girls arrived at 7:30 for the night. We put in Turner & Hooch (the girls picked, they had never seen it and its one of my favorites!) and pulled out the game of Sorry. After a short half hour, it was apparent that for the second time in a row, AJ had been taken over by these young ladies. 

The younger one has AJ completely wrapped. Any time I would say anything to correct behavior, he would say something as well, but to sooth the fact that she had done something wrong. For example, "Remember I said that you can't jump and run around because someone lives under us and its late. You need to stop." And AJ would come back with, "It's ok. It's just not play time ok?We'll have play time later. You are ok. Don't worry." The little girl, sensing weakness I believe, would get AJ to do whatever she wanted for the rest of the evening and morning. 

She also developed quite the crush on AJ and was constantly holding his arm or following him everywhere. Not to mention glaring at me as if I was the evil queen on Alice & Wonderland. Poor AJ was terrified and had no idea how to handle it. I found it hilarious and just giggled at him the whole time. I told him later, "You did that to yourself, ya know. You act like her best friend rather than an adult. You are always telling her she is great, even when she is misbehaving." Yet even after this, the simple two letter word, "No" never came out of the poor man's mouth.

This is small compared to what she had.
I think the epitome of the experience was when the next morning AJ was cooking breakfast and apparently she asked him if she could eat the butter! AJ literally gave her a HUGE spoonful of butter and she was licking it like a lollipop as she refused to get out of the kitchen while he was cooking. When I saw what was going on I was absolutely mortified. I told her she was not allowed to eat butter and that she needed to get out of the kitchen while AJ was using the stove. The little lady just smiled knowingly at me, put down the butter, and left the kitchen. She knew exactly what she was doing. I then had to have a little discussion with my poor husband regarding allowing a 7 year old to eat butter (I wouldn't even let her eat regular bacon!)

The girls win Round 2!
Bedtime was a lot easier this time. For one, the girls weren't hopped up on tons of koolaide like last time, and before the night even started I had told them what time they would be going to bed. 

But in the end, we both decided that the girls once again won the evening and AJ has a long ways to go. Luckily, our SD and his new girlfriend seem to be doing well so it looks like we will have many more babysitting opportunities. 

Oy-vay!  Lol  =)