Monday, November 7, 2011

You can't save them all..

I have been told this my entire life. And although I understand what this statement means, I don't think I have ever internalized the words. What always comes to my mind is, "Yeah, but I can always save one more.."

This weekend AJ & I took our two pooches to the dog park for some play and socialization. While we were there, a woman with multiple dogs showed up. She was a foster home for dogs. If you haven't heard of this before, when an animal shelter gets over run they find people to care for the animals temporarily until they have the opportunity to find permanent homes for them. One particular foster dog caught my eye... a small Schnauzer named Sparky. An adorable and sweet little pooch, he was taken to the animal shelter by his previous owners for the simple reason of, "He poops too much." No joke.

This is a schnauzer.. just not Sparky.
After looking at my husband with pleading eyes, we brought him home with us. It's kind of a rent-to-own type of situation. We can keep him for a week and if things work out, he'll stay with us. If he doesn't fit in with our family dynamic, he will go back to his foster home. I really do know another dog is a bad idea, and we will probably relinquish him back to the foster home (very wonderful people) before its over. But it's so hard for me. The commercials where they ask for donations or help for abused anything KILL me! If it weren't for my husband we would be broke.

Way back, I wanted to be an international litigator for children's rights. Particularly child sex trafficking. But after a while I decided I wouldn't be able to handle it. You have to be able to develop a thick skin and also separate yourself somewhat, and I knew there would be no possibly way I could do that. I don't have the ability to detach myself, my mind and heart just don't work that way.

* Source
I've always been an idealist. I don't know if that will ever change about me. I believe that people truly can reach their dreams and experience greatness and happiness. I believe in stories like The Blind Side, Rudy, and The Pursuit of Happyness. I also believe in hard work and determination. And I truly, truly, truly believe that if each person cared just a little bit more, maybe not a lot, but a little bit, the world would be such a remarkably better place. I sincerely believe that apathy is what hurts the world the most. The fact that people know bad is there and for their own survival, develop an "oh well, what can I do?" attitude. I believe with my whole heart that if all everyone did was care, just care and nothing else, what an amazing place this planet could be.

3 comments:

Di said...

Oh, Scottie. I so identify with this. I had to run an errand at PetSmart this weekend and the group we adopted our dog from was there. If it weren't for me knowing we really shouldn't have another animal to take care of I would have come home with three more cats and two more dogs... Seriously, it absolutely breaks my heart to see these animals that don't have to be there if people would a) spay and neuter, b) take responsibility for pets (i.e. realize that a dog is going to poop!) and c) give your animals a lifelong home (as much as is possible, obviously if someone had a child that ended up having a severe pet allergy, I would agree you should probably keep the kid, not the dog.).

Kelly Stadium said...

@Di

I agree Di! That's one of the things that kills me the most! Why oh why do these people even have pets? It makes no sense to me at all. Especially animal abuse. Ugh.

Hank said...

@Kelly Stadium

Agreed!

Post a Comment