Sunday, October 17, 2010

Wild Turkeys and Bob Cats and Boars! Oh My!!

Aj and I talk about how glad we are that we don't have children right now. Aj gets sad missing out on April and Blitz, let alone if we had small Kelly's running around the house. This week, is no exception. I know I put a quick update last week on the shenanigans of those two, but I can't help it, they crack me up.
Yesterday, Blitz and I decided to go to the hatchery (where my office is located for the Department of Wildlife) and goof off for a while. I really wanted to let Blitz run around a bit and he has always loved it there. Usually we walk around a few of the ponds, then I lay a blanket out under the tree next to the building and let Blitz play. This time was a little bit different.

We have a new friend that has taken up home at the hatchery, a young bob cat who lives in a wood pile not 15 yards from the office door, and not 5 yards from the tree that I like to lie under. This particular bob cat, who the guys and I at the hatchery have been watching curiously the past couple weeks, doesn't seem to have any fear of people, and isn't nocturnal. He was wide awake yesterday when Blitz and I arrived and was lounging in the same spot that I was planning on placing my blanket. Probably not my smartest move, but I decided to pull up anyway and just keep our distance. Blitz and I got out of the car and the bob cat didn't move. Just watched. We played around the ponds and scuttled around the grassy area around him, keeping about 10 yards distance at all times, but he didn't seem bothered at all. Finally, I decided to quit pushing our luck and move to the other side of the hatchery altogether, where we found, wild turkeys! Yay! Blitz was so excited to chase the large flock of dumb birds around for a while when I remembered, "Oh yeah, we keep a small boar fenced in to act as bait for larger boars here." So I called Blitz and him and I took a walk over to see her. Blitz was ecstatic! He barked and yipped and chased that boar from the outside of the fence from one end to the other. I firmly believe he thought he had a new friend to play tag with and was frustrated when I wouldn't let him in the fence. I walked away eventually and called Blitz, who followed me back to the car.

Then last night, I was able to talk to Aj for a little while online. He had woken up around 3 in the morning over there in order to catch me online for a bit. While chatting, he made the comment he hopes that Blitz remembers him. I assured him that he would. After we got off the computer, my curiosity got the best of me and I went to find something in Aj's closet that I hadn't washed and would still smell like him to show Blitz. The only two items I could think of were Aj's jacket and his slippers. I brought them out, and showed them to Blitz, and he went crazy! He pulled Aj's jacket from me and ran off, sniffing it and searching every corner. He wouldn't give it back to me and I had to fight him for it. When he finally let go of it, he ran over, grabbed one of Aj's slippers and took off to his bed. Again, I had to fight him for it. It was as if Blitz thought that mean slipper and nasty old jacket were hiding Aj from him and he was going to find him. If I had any doubt before that Blitz remembers and misses Aj, it was dispelled last night. It doesn't surprise me, Aj and Blitz were best buds and partners in crime. I know they can't wait to be together again.

Today is NFL Sunday. Blitz, April, and I chill in the living room together and watch the games and relax. Hoping to hear from Aj. Today he has the day off and I hope the internet works well enough to get to chat with him a bit again. At least the kids aren't fighting today and have decided to play nice and get along. April even ran up and gave Blitz a kiss right after I let her out of her tank.

I feel sorry for my friends and family. Aj and I post all the time about our dog and turtle.. Can you imagine how annoyingly terrible we will be when we have our own two legged children?