Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ashley Madison...

... Has anyone else ever heard of this website? I remember the first time I heard of it. It was a couple of years ago on the radio and I honestly thought it was a joke. When I discovered that it wasn't, I felt honestly ill and very offended. Yes, offended. Now, I am not a judgmental person but I do believe in standards and I do have morals. I also believe that the society I live in should have standards. And every time I see an advertisement for AshleyMadison, I become angered and saddened at society where this website boasts over 8 million members and can be so unabashed as to have a commercial on during my House marathon (although it is on Bravo..).
     I'm all for free speech, and no, I don't believe it should be illegal, I just wish that our society had standards. That people had standards. That making money through such means in such an audacious and blatant way would be beneath the masses. But I guess I have always been somewhat of an idealist.
    If you haven't heard of ashleymadison, first off, thats a good thing. Second off, let me explain to you what it is. It is a site for married people to go on in order to have an discrete affair with another married person in their area. And no, it doesn't hide it. Their motto is the following: "Life is short. Have an affair." And that is exactly how they advertise it. On the radio, on television, magazines... It makes me so angry and sad all at the same time.
    My reason for this post, is what do you think about the blatant advertisement? How do you feel about it and do you (like me) secretly wish that the advertisements were illegal but also understand and are thankful that you live in a country where they aren't, or do you truly believe they should be? Or, do you think it's no big deal? This is a sociological paradox to me, so I wanted to throw it out there.

3 comments:

Two Sticks Photography said...

I personally think that it's bull crap that any television station would allow that type of advertisement....leave it to Bravo.

Unknown said...

YOU ARE KIDDING ME!!! That makes me so sad, mad, and incredibly disappointed. I cannot believe people would belittle marriage, trust, love, and family in such a way, I'm just shocked that it is so blatant and in your face (I mean I'm not totally naive that affairs are becoming more and more common but COME ON)! It seems like our countries morals are going further and further down hill, and while that is everyone's choice it is discouraging all the same.

Unknown said...

I had no clue about this ridiculous bit of capitalism before reading this post ... and um, well, after googling it, I realized three things. 1) It's a money making scheme 2) At least some networks have refused to allow the commercials because it would outrage their viewers 3) Bravo usually has crap "reality" TV (House is not included here) ... so, I don't expect much from them.

Granted, I'm not in the States ... so I don't know how offensive this really is.

Post a Comment