Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gender Specifics..

..has anyone seen this ridiculous controversy about the creative director of J-Crew painting her sons toenails pink while they are playing together, and a picture of it being in a J-Crew ad? And how people are angrily saying she is intentionally attacking masculinity and is trying to make her son gay or transgendered?
I cannot even count the number of things wrong with this train of thought. It has literally been on every news network, from CNN to Fox to NBC. I am completely disgusted with this.
Here is my thing, if you are a mom and your young son asks you to paint his toe nails, and picks out his own color, then the two of you have a fun afternoon where you are painting each others toes and joking around, good for you! It's called bonding. In the same way a dad would play catch with his 5 year old daughter or take her fishing. I am so frustratingly baffled over this controversy. I mean, really people? It honestly just pisses me off.
I am going to provide two links, one is for the the ad and the controversy around it. The other one just happens to be a very interesting blog I just read a few days ago about how pink even became a girl color (it used to signify masculinity) and how boys used to wear dresses until 7 years of age. If they all ended up gay, I'm pretty sure the people who are so scared of overpopulation would be out of jobs, but that doesn't seem to be the case. ((PS: And if her young son grows up and decides he is gay, does anyone honestly believe it's because his mom painted his toe nails pink? And who cares?)

Oh oh oh! Another thought.. Anyone else remember how men of status use to wear make-up? Blush, eye shadow, eye liner? And I'd like to see someone tell Alice Cooper his eyeliner makes him femmy..

The Ad and the "Controversy"
"Pink is for girls, blue is for boys?" - By Geek In Heels