Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Occupy Wall Street- I'm so confused.

My all time FAVORITE quote in the whole wide world is:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Growing up, my friends and I were all about critical thinking and questioning. We never took anything on face value and always did our own research. Questioning authority, knowing our rights, and demanding them was what we were all about. 

Now that I have annotated that, let me say this: I do not understand Occupy Wall Street.
Please, let me explain.

I get that corporate America and a good majority of our government is corrupt. I get that there are good people starving in the street while horrible people dine on champagne & caviar in sky rise apartments. I get the idea behind Occupy Wall Street. What I don't get is what they want to accomplish?

Do they want everyone to make the same amount? Are they protesting corruption or just capitalism? And what do they want the government/ corporations to do about it? What are they asking for? I don't get it. They are protesting for months in unsanitary camps in parks, which I think the dedication is awesome, but I don't understand what they want to see done in order to willingly leave the camps?

There has to be a proposed solution to the problem.
 I feel like I am back in debate. 

At first we have to decide what values are the most important to uphold and how to decide on those values. After that decision is made we need a policy to uphold them. If you can't come up with a solution or a proposed solution to solve the problem and obtain those values, your just talking in the wind. 

It's like me and all the other personal trainers getting together and living in parks for months to protest the obesity and health crises in America- without proposing a solution we aren't doing anything but making noise.

So I get what the VALUE's are for the protesters of Occupy Wall Street- but what are your proposed solutions? All I see right now, is a lot of useless and white noise. We've got the commitment part, but we are missing the thoughtful part of Margaret Mead's quote. What will it take to get you out of the parks and back into your homes?