Thursday, July 14, 2011

Anyone?? Anyone??

I don't get along with girls very well. I know what you're thinking, if you had a dime for every time you heard a girl say that.. But it tends to be pretty accurate for me. It's not that I don't like girls or don't want to hang out with girls, its more that my personality type, hobbies and likes, combined with my age group puts me in a very small population of women.My problem is that I am incredibly active and my idea of hanging out would be playing a round of frisbee golf or taking a kayaking lesson. I am not a gossip and chatting about what Suzey and Shannon are arguing about today or the latest drama on facebook is not my thing. I would rather sit down and chat about the most recent health and fitness data, last nights Jon Stewart episode, chatting about the upcoming football season, the best fantasy picks, or that freaking sweet goal made by Abby Womback. I'm also not a shopper. I hate shopping. I hate spending money. I would rather get my sewing kit and patches out and repair my old pair of jeans than go spend 40$ on a new pair. Did I mention I have a very loud personality? I'm very blunt and talkative, which is pretty intimidating to a lot of girls it seems.
I have some amazing girl friends. Unfortunately, none of them live here. I have a friend in New York City whose fitness and activity level would leave me so far behind I would probably be ashamed. Another friend in Idaho where Jet Ski's and four wheelers were a huge part of our summer. I've recently reconnected with an amazing girl where rock climbing and skating are part of her passions. A friend who crushed her first 10k this past year despite doctors telling her she would never run lives in Miami. One girl who challenges my conversations and intellect the most lives in Utah. 
But here I am, in Oklahoma. 
I've looked. Believe me I  have. Most of the conversations I have with girls that I have tried hanging out with go like this, "I hate drama." "Me too!" "I am not a gossiper." "Oh, I hate gossip." "I'm super active and an outgoing personality." "So am I!!!" Everything sounds great but then after a few weeks it turns into, "Oh my gosh! Did you hear about so and so and such and such?" "Let's go shopping or sit and watch a movie." Hanging out turns into sitting on the couch and talking about people. I just am not interested in that.
I have to admit, I'm a little bit of a friend snob. I'm kind of picky about who I want to spend my time with. My philosophy with friends at this stage of my life is that if you aren't going to make my life better by being in it and only bring me and my family down, I don't need you in it. Everyone and every relationship has their ups and downs but at the end of the day, if I'm not happier having you in my life than out of it: Bye! 
Maybe this seems a little bit harsh but I have had so many people in my life that have claimed to be friends that have only been a destructive force to me and those around me. I have kept them around because of that friend label and continued to be torn down. That's not ok.
Now that AJ is home its been awesome. Him and I go and do things close to every night; fishing, the batting cages, the dog park, frisbee golf, etc. But he also has his guy friends. Which is great!! Totally happy he can go and be with the guys. He needs that. But that leaves me at home with the dogs. It's frustrating. I'm a very extroverted and people person. 
I guess I'm just frustrated. I'm looking into assistant coaching and fitness training for the competitive soccer leagues here in Lawton. If that goes through it should be a blast but surprise, surprise, all of the head coaches I will be working with are men. Welcome to my world.
This post is a giant complaint and I know I just need to get over myself. I have an amazing life and if my only complaint is that I all of my awesome girl friends are across the country, than I'm doing pretty damn good.

2 comments:

evieperkins said...

Since taking up rock climbing, I am suddenly spending large amounts of time hanging out with 19-year-old, pot-smoking boys. They're fascinating, wonderful people, and I love hanging out with them, but they're a far cry from being girlfriends.

She-Ra said...

Scottie - You are such a cherished friend and time and time again I have wished that we lived closer to each other. Thanks for the shout-out in the blog! When AJ goes out, know that you can (and should) call me. I would love to catch up. Perhaps we can even be nerdy and Skype each other. There is always a spare air mattress if you and AJ want to visit. Miss you and wishing you both all the best.

Post a Comment