Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hero Worship

I'm not a celebrity kind of person. If Sandra Bullock, Lady Gaga, or Usher walked into the room right now, it probably wouldn't phase me much. I've been around a lot of powerful people before and it's no biggee. But if Abby Wambach  or Hope Solo walked into my office right now, I would turn into a tween girl meeting Justin Bieber. Seriously. There would be tears falling from my eyes in excitement. 
Abby Wambach & Hope Solo - 2011 World Cup
Sadly, the majority of people reading this right now are thinking, "Who?"
These are two of the women on the US Women's Soccer Team currently playing in the World Cup. We just won the semi-finals today after losing that game the past three consecutive Women's World Cup appearances. The finals are this Sunday. The past two games have  been insane. AJ & I both agreed that the quarterfinal round against Brazil was one of the most intense, if not THE most intense sporting match we have ever watched. 
These women are insane. They truly are. I am in complete awe of not only their athletic talent, but their drive, their attitudes and everything about them. If you don't know these women, look them up. Truly. I cannot fathom how Americans don't love soccer more than they do.

3 comments:

Di said...

Since you're not on facebook anymore, you'll be happy to know my status was, "I have such a crush on Abby Wambach and Hope Solo!" hahaha.

Anonymous said...

I am so f*cking into this game you have no idea. I'm getting eye rolls from my significant other, but the words "Wambach" and "Solo" are on the tip of my tongue and I am so parking it in front of a TV tomorrow to watch this game!!!

I mean, that header? Hell-o??? One of the most amazing moments in women's sports history! That was arguably more intense than the men's game in last year's World Cup. AND, it had one of the best, come from behind finishes I've ever seen. Ever. In any sport.

Gah I'm so excited to watch tomorrow's game. Japan is such a great team, and this should be an absolutely fantastic, nail biting, heart attack inducing game. :)

Anonymous said...

Also, best recap I've seen of the US-Brazil game, which I also posted on FB, but you're not on there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU7juegX7yQ

Post a Comment