Wednesday, July 6, 2011

From the Fat Girl.

My name is Scottie Ann Jensen and I am the fat girl
I play soccer but running burns my thighs. Not because of the exercise but because of the friction of my thighs rubbing together. 
It's painful.
My shorts ride up in the middle because of my thighs touching.
It's embarrassing.
My friends wear all these cute clothes and swap them around to each other. I can't borrow any. I am too big.
It makes me cry.
My brother teases me about being fat. He's not meaning to hurt me, he thinks he's just being a big brother.
It hurts.
My friends are thin and beautiful. They wear shorts and bikinis in the summer. I want to.
I can't.
I'm not ugly, I'm just bigger than the other girls in school. They call me the cute girl.
I'm always "the friend."
I want to go shopping in the cute clothes section. I want to wear clothes I like. But for my age group;
The larges are too small.
I come from a large line of heavy women. Almost all the women I am related to are overweight. I'm told it's genetics. I'm told this is the hand I was dealt in life. I'm told I will just have to learn to love myself, the way I am.
I am the fat girl.

My name is Scottie Ann Kelly and I was the fat girl.
I know how it feels
I know what it's like.
I know how hard it can be.
I know about bad genes and tight jeans.
I understand how endless it feels. 
I understand the desire to just learn to live that way.
I know it doesn't have to be that way.
I know it can get done, I know I can be whatever I want.
I know that where I come from does not have to define me.
I am not the fat girl.
I am the fit girl.

Because of what I experienced as a young girl up to the age of 15, I became a certified personal trainer with American Fitness Professionals & Associates, soon to add nutritional adviser to go along with it. In 10 months I will be back in Idaho, back where I grew up, back to a place where I remember being the fat girl. I am very excited to hit the ground running and can't wait to give back and show people they can be fit, at any age and from any background. Not skinny, not thin, but fit and confident. Powerful in their own right. 

My profession though, isn't about me. It's not about what I want or my journey. It's about what you need and your own journey. I need to know your questions and concerns. I need to know your struggles. I need to know what it is you want and need, from me. So, I am going to create an additional blog where I will be posting blog questions and concerns, ideas, musings and wonderings about what you all need and expect from a personal trainer. Whether you are looking to lose weight and feel better or are already an athlete and want to boost your performance in particular areas, I'll be there for it all.

2 comments:

"She-Ra" said...

Scottie - You are an inspiration in fitness and a true motivator when it comes to health. I am so excited that you are out there sharing the message of wellness, and not "the perfect body". I know you will reach many with your message, and will be successful in all that you do. Wishing you all the best as you prepare for the next big adventure in 10 months!

evieperkins said...

1) I'm ecstatic to have found your blog.
2) Well written and well expressed. I'd trust you to train me.
3) You go girl.

Post a Comment