Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gentlemen. Only. Ladies. Forbidden.

This last Memorial weekend, AJ & I had planned on going down to Texas. Unfortunately, when we took my car in on Friday to get the rotors replaced, we discovered it had more problems than we thought. Since it's the car we are taking to Idaho tomorrow, we weren't able to go to Texas so we could stay and get it fixed. To salvage the weekend, AJ & I went with some friends to play a little golf. AJ loves golf, I actually bought him a nice set of clubs for Christmas. I haven't been golfing since my junior year of high school and I was terrible. But this was a blast! We played 18 holes on the little course in Lawton. AJ & his friend Studer tried to help me out on the back 9 holes, still the best I did was a 9 on a par 3.. Yeah... It was a lot of fun though and something AJ & I plan on doing a lot more of. 

Some of you may find it amusing that since I had not been golfing in so long (and even then only once),  I spent the entire night before researching and watching videos on it. Determined to not be too terrible. Although I was pretty bad, I do believe that my research did help me at least feel a little more assured and prepared.

A little fun fact.. I had always heard that "Golf" was originally an anagram for "Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden" but discovered this is not the case. Golf apparently had many spellings prior to the acceptance of the current spelling, including - goff, gowf, golf, goif, gof. Also, during my research, I found this comic, which was pretty funny to me:

toonpool.com

And of course, we took some pictures of the day.. Here are a few..

All ready for a day of golf. (It was 100 degrees outside! I'm wearing SPF 70, a lot of it..)
Preparing for a drive on a par 3..
I look like I'm swinging a baseball bat... Badly.. Oh well! I'll get better!
AJ driving the cart. He made me sick in this thing. Lol
FORE!!
Our friend Harold Studer, about to clobber one.

I hope everyone had a great Memorial weekend!