Saturday, August 20, 2011

It's Just Popcorn!

When I work with a client, one of the first homework assignments I give them is pretty simple. For one entire week, pay attention to how many calories are in everything you put in your mouth. I tell them that I don't want them to track how many they eat in a day or even cut down on what they consume. Most people really don't understand how many calories are in what they eat. People "assume" so much when it comes to their eating habits. I am, in a sense, acquainting my clients with their own eating habits. Going to eat a corn dog for lunch? How many calories are in one? 270? Cool beans... But wait! Don't forget the mustard and ketchup calories! And yes, you do have to include the small handful of chips you grabbed without thinking on your way out the kitchen. No, you don't have to write it down. Just pick it up, turn it over and look at three things: How many calories are in it? How much is a serving size? And how much sodium is in it? Then go back to your day. 
After doing this studiously for an entire week, all of my clients are surprised to learn how much they actually put in their bodies. One thing that is tough for most though, is calculating how many calories they consume when they go out. This is something I insist they do because in our society now, more and more people eat out more regularly then they cook dinner at home, and those calories are usually the ones that are the most underestimated by everyone.
To illustrate my point, I found this cool (yet so depressing) little infographic on snacks at the move theater..

5 comments:

Geek in Heels said...

You know what's more depressing? I know how many calories are in the junk that they sell at movie concession stands, but I ALWAYS get something to eat when I'm at the movies because it's just so ingrained in my psyche. (It's telling me, "You MUST consume buttery popcorn with a side of sour watermelon candy when you're at the movies!")

I wish American theaters served more healthy snacks, like the ones in Asia do.

Two Sticks Photography said...

I'm with the comment above - I'm well aware of it but dang it, it's just not American to not have popcorn and sour patch kids! lol. I guess it helps that Dylan won't allow me to put butter on it and I only eat a few handfuls though :)

Kelly Stadium said...

AJ & I went to the movies last night and he got a large soda and a large popcorn with extra butter. I looked at him and said, "You know that I just blogged about this right?" He said, "Yeah, you said to be a aware of what you are eating and I am completely aware and even more excited now. Thanks babe!" Lol And I'm not going to lie, I stole a handful myself (but the extra butter grosses me out a little too much to eat a lot..) lol

Anonymous said...

It's kind of amazing how many empty calories are included in soda (I don't drink it as it is, but if a person wanted any reason to stop drinking it, that's a good one to start with). Additionally, snacks at the movies are hella expensive, and that tends to stop me on that count too.

I think I personally luck out in several ways: a) genetics (seriously, I come from a line of tall/skinny women); b) physical activity levels (if I go more than 2 days without running or doing something I'm going crazy and probably get a little grouchy); and c) I simply don't *like* a lot of foods/drinks that seem to also be loaded with tons of empty calories. The extra butter you pour on popcorn on the movies? Guh, that shit's disgusting and reminds me of yellow motor oil. Salad dressing? Egh, not a fan. Putting salt on your food? Never. Happens. I just don't like it and it's very easy for something to be too salty for me. Junk food? Pretty rare for me and don't get me started on the looks I get from Margot whenever I say "no thank you" to something like ice cream...

Anyway, I don't like soda. It's got empty calories, no nutrients, and it often displaces something you *should* be drinking regularly (good old H2O). :)

Anonymous said...

*looks at second coffee of the day sitting on my desk*

I guess I do drink too much coffee though...we all have our bad habits. ;)

Post a Comment