Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What if your trainer...

were pregnant? This is something that has been on my mind a lot since AJ & I decided to start trying for a family. As a personal trainer, I'm a walking billboard. People have to look at me and believe that I know what I am talking about when it comes to health and fitness. Knowing this, I am struggling with what is going to happen once AJ & I  do become pregnant and we progress into the pregnancy. How uncomfortable are my clients going to have with a trainer that has a big swollen belly? 
So let me ask you, what would you do if your trainer became pregnant? How uncomfortable would you feel? Would you likely leave to go to someone else? How upset would you be knowing that your trainer will be out for 4-6 weeks for maternity, only available by phone or e-mail? 
I'm obviously not there yet and don't need to stress too much, but when it does happen I want to be prepared. 
What it your opinion and feelings on the matter? I would appreciate total honesty, I promise I can take it. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally don't think having a pregnant trainer would be an issue, because pregnancy doesn't erase your knowledge of fitness. But I think the lack of access during maternity leave could be frustrating. Depending on how often someone is meeting with you. If it's once a week, that's more doable. But if you are working with someone three days a week, I can see that being an issue.

DG said...

I've been working with a trainer for almost 2 years and I would think nothing negative about a pregnant trainer. One of the trainers at the Golds Gym here was pregnant a while back and I thought most people found her to be an inspiration. Yes, she was obviously pregnant but it was clear she was approaching it in a healthy way. I don't think this is anything you should worry about.

Geek in Heels said...

I think that if you had asked me the same thing a decade ago, I probably would have said that I would feel slightly uncomfortable — not for myself, but for the trainer, because I would always be worried that she would overexert/hurt herself. But now, after having had a baby and being pregnant myself, I would have absolutely no problem with it. I would trust that she knows her own limits, and that she is just doing her job.

Post a Comment