Monday, September 26, 2011

Amenorrhea

Amenorrhea:
Abnormal absence or suppression of menstruation

Apparently this is what I have. The doctor said my ultra sound and blood tests all looked perfectly fine, which is good. She also said that amenorrhea is not uncommon and can last for up to six months. Causes for amenorrhea vary from stress, to eating habits, hormone fluctuations, or even "unknown." What happens is that your body, for whichever reason, does not ovulate and because it never releases an egg, it also is never triggered to release progesterone to flush out that egg and start your cycle.
So, now what? I asked her. 
She told me that if AJ & I are still planning on continuing to try and get pregnant, we just wait until my body catches up with itself and my cycles start normally. If we aren't, she gives me a prescription of progesterone to take for 10 days which should trigger my body to get back on track. Afterwards, I resume my preferred birth control method. 
AJ & I decided that we are going to cease our attempt at getting pregnant for now because of a variety of reasons. First is that if we get pregnant now, the baby would be born after we get out of the military. This means that we would be pregnant when we transfer from military to civilian insurance. Civilian insurance considers pregnancy a preexisting condition and wouldn't cover the pregnant. Also, since we are now so close to getting out, it would probably just be better to wait until we get settled down.
So, I took the 10 day prescription of progesterone and she put in a new prescription for birth control and I left. 
3 months and one good doctor later, lets hope this is finally my answer. A non-answer of sorts.

1 comments:

evieperkins said...

Yay! A diagnosis of sorts! And hopefully, a solution.

Post a Comment