Thursday, October 13, 2011

Helloooo Nurse!

* Source
AJ and I are soon approaching his military ETS date (the date he is officially out of the military). He will have been in for 6 years by the time he is out and he joined the military straight out of high school. Getting out of the military is pretty scary for AJ. He hasn't known anything else. The idea of calling in sick, of sleeping past 4:30 am, of not having to stand in formation to start and end each day, or even before or after each lunch hour, doesn't even compute with him. The main thing that plagues his mind about getting out is, "Now what? What do I want to be when I grow up?" He was having trouble deciding whether or not he was going to go to school or straight into an occupation (he hates school) and what would he do for either? 
A few weeks ago though, he figured it out, and I was SUPER proud of him. I'm really excited about it and so is he. AJ is going to go to nursing school. It fits him perfectly, it truly does. Like my becoming a personal trainer, I don't know why we never thought of it before. AJ's Uncle Grady has been a nurse for 12 years, which really helped AJ shrug off the stereotype that typically comes with male nurses. 
Although nursing as a profession has come forward in leaps and bounds when it comes to sexism, it is still there in an undertone. When AJ tells someone he is going to be a nurse, it always takes them back at first. You can see that they have to consciously remind themselves that males can be nurses and that it is a good profession. I'm pretty excited to have a sexy male nurse for my husband.
What do you think of male nurses? Is it hard for you to think about? Do you still think of it as a female occupation? Do you look down on a male nurse?
* Source

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay AJ! I don't think male nurses are weird at all. Two of my friends' husbands are going to school right now (well one is certified already, but is continuing training to be a nurse anesthetist (sp?)). I do think there is a bias from some people though, thinking it has to be a stepping stone on the way to being a doctor, but as more men become nurses I think those stereotypes are coming down.

Geek in Heels said...

A cousin of mine gave up his corporate career to become a nurse, and although I still occasionally kid him by calling him "murse" or "Focker," I am incredibly proud of him. Yay for AJ for choosing such an admirable career!

Anonymous said...

@lifeofdi
I agree there is a bias still, but it's getting better!

Post a Comment