Friday, October 7, 2011

A New Trekkie Is Born

1966 Movie Poster  *Source
When AJ & I first got together, he teased me about being a Trekkie. He said how nerdy and stupid Star Trek was. I later found out that he had never seen a single Star Trek anything before! So, before he deployed I was able to wrestle him down to watch the newest Star Trek movie (which I LOVE by the way). He ended up thinking the movie was totally badass. Now that he is home from deployment, we finally got to watch the Star Trek movie again on blu-ray. After watching it again he wanted to watch more and hear the back stories that I go on and on about during the movie.
Then (think of a ray of light coming down from the heavens and onto our TV screen) we found the entire original Star Trek series on Netflix starting from the pilot in 1966! AJ and I have been watching 1 or 2 a night ever since. Despite the ridiculous graphics, we are loving the story lines and watching in awe of the social barrier breakdowns on the show. (A black woman in an important position and a Russian on the crew in 1966? Interracial dating and flirting? A woman was put in command of the ship in the pilot episode!!) AJ officially declared himself a Trekkie the other night and I am once again reminded on why I love the show as much as I do. 
The crew on the original Star Trek Series.            *Source
It is one of the last truly unique continuing series (meaning I don't roll my eyes and think of a million other shows I've seen with the same plot), it also has never had social barriers. I'm looking forward to future Star Trek's where maybe we will see even more social barriers broken down. When watching the older shows, you wouldn't even be able to tell that there would be anything controversial about what they are doing and that is the whole point: there never should have been. 
The original Sulu on the series is now openly gay. Maybe there will be a gay couple on the series on day?
I'm happy that AJ has seen the light and joined me as a Trekkie. I am also a lover of Star Wars and George Lucas but I don't feel that it was a social pioneer like Star Trek was and continues to be. Star Trek has always lived up to it's motto:

"To boldly go where no man has gone before.."

1 comments:

evieperkins said...

I absolutely adore the original Star Trek. It makes me happy in the way few television shows can.

Post a Comment