Thursday, October 27, 2011

My thought for the day...

...It's a pretty simple one really.....

My husband is gorgeous!!
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Ok, now that I have bragged him up a little, let me explain why.. Recently I was reading an article that talked about how many men/ women are not physically attracted to their spouses and the problems that it causes. A lot of the individuals interviewed in the article (which I can't find on the net but was in a magazine) said that they love their spouse and enjoy spending time with their spouse, but just aren't physically attracted to them anymore. To some individuals, it wasn't that big of a deal while others had contemplated cheating on their spouse because of being attracted to other individuals. 

This got me thinking of my husband and thus the above thought was born. Now, I admit that the majority of people (but not all) in this article had been married for a lot longer than AJ and I have been, and most were also older, it still got me thinking.

I know that I have days where I just don't put on makeup or do my hair.. Heck, I don't even get out of my pj's on a lot of weekends. This prompted the following conversation with my husband:

Me: "Does it bother you that I don't dress up and try and look nice everyday?"
AJ: "What?"
Me: "You know, I sit around the house in my pj's and almost never wear make up on weekends and stuff."
AJ: "No... Why?"
Me: "Cause when we were first dating I ALWAYS tried to look super hot for you..."
AJ: "Look babe, I don't know how to say this but I don't even really notice if you are or aren't wearing make up. You're just hot ok? And the only thing I prefer that you wear is naked. If you wanted to wear naked all the time, I'd be happy. But you're just hot. If you want to dress up every day for you, that's cool. I don't really care."
Me: *Beaming* "Ok babe! I love you! You're amazing." (Thinking to myself later, conspiratorially, of course he would say that.. What he must mean is, yes, please dress up more and wear tight fitting jeans...)

In all reality, he probably doesn't care. But I do worry about getting too comfortable, of letting myself go. I always want to be physically attractive to my husband. And whenever we actually go out, to movies or with friends, I really do try to look good. Not for me, but for him. I want him to be proud to walk into a room with me. I know I am with him. I think this is a big problem in marriages across the bored, getting too comfortable with each other and not putting any effort out to impress the other or make the other one get butterflies.

I remember one time in high school, it was a Saturday and I was talking with my mom in her bedroom. She was putting her make up on. I eventually looked at her and said, "Why are you putting on make up? It's Saturday. Are you going anywhere?" And she said to me, "No. I just like to look nice for your dad."
I will never forget that. My parents have been married now for 28 years. It still makes me smile.

PS: I really don't need to hear about how looks aren't the most important thing in a relationship, blah blah blah. AJ & I have an incredible marriage that is not based solely on looks. But I do believe that being physically attractive and desirable to one another, is one important part of intimacy and being married..

1 comments:

Geek in Heels said...

What a lovely post. And I completely agree with you - being physically attractive and desirable to each other is an important part of all romantic relationships. Eight years after we first started dating, my husband still believes me to be "hot" and I find him more attractive than ever before...and I can't imagine being married to someone I wasn't attracted to, even when we are both in our 70s!

Post a Comment