Sunday, October 2, 2011

1...2...3... HIKE!

After getting a rather slow start on our Saturday, AJ & I gathered the dogs up in the element and decided to head to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge and go for a hike. We used to go on hikes with Blitz all the time when he was little but due to the consecutive over 100 degree weather this summer, this will be our first real hike with Baylee trailing along as well.
She is usually really good as staying with us whenever we do go anywhere but as this was our first nature hike, we decided to not go too hard core and went on a 4 mile (a little over 2 miles each way) stint up through the ridge of a few of the "mountains". We had a blast. Baylee did extremely well. She got carried away on a few occasions and would run too far ahead. All AJ & I would have to do was stop and wait, and she would turn around and run all the way back to us as if saying, "Ooops! Sorry!" It was adorable. 
We got a few pictures on the hike. AJ had the camera (his phone) so more of them are of me then I would have preferred, but nonetheless, here is our little adventure.
At the beginning of the hike we were around a few other people and kept the dogs on the leash (it's actually Refuge policy) until we got out on our own more.


So Baylee found some buffalo manure and rolled in it. I discovered it when I was laughing during this picture and put my hand near my face. You can tell in the picture that he caught me right in the middle of laughing and realizing my hand smelled horrible at the same time. Baylee seems to have found this funny as well.


 The Refuge is mostly large rock formations and boulders. We had fun making our own trails and climbing up on these type of formations. The dogs would find a way to follow us every time. AJ was so worried about them, it was cute.


When I climbed up for this picture, the dogs of course followed me, but they didn't really know how to turn around and get down. The drop in between my legs is a little bit bigger than I thought before I climbed up there too. Lol


Although I enjoy teasing Oklahoma about what they consider mountains, there is no doubt that the views are still rather pretty.


 Feeling free! AJ & I enjoyed drinks and cliff bars at the top before we headed back down.

I'm not quite sure why I look so disgruntled in the picture. I think I was about to start laughing again...? AJ always looks good.

PS: I now have a twitter account. If you would like to follow along, just look for MrsCoachKelly . That's me! Enjoy your FOOTBALL weekend!!!!