Friday, October 28, 2011

My irrational, non-sports loving, little dog toting, girlie side...

I love sports. I LOVE the NFL! I LOVE football! I love pretty much any sport. For crying out loud, my blog is called, "Kelly Stadium". I have a fantasy football team and a fantasy baseball team. I know all the names of the major sports journalists, their view points, and I even have sports radio on in my car.... Now, all that being said, I do not ONLY love sports. I do not want my entire life to be about sports and only sports. My husband though, he feels differently.

On most day's AJ is home before I am, and when I walk into the house it never fails that either he will be playing Madden or Sports Center will be on. If Sports Center is on, that means that there is some game on that he wants to watch that night (who knows what it is.. college football, basketball, curling.. it doesn't matter..) If he is playing Madden, that pretty much means he intends on playing it the majority of the night. 
When we are in the car going for a hike/fishing/movies/grocery store/ insert any possible location here, AJ wants to talk to me about sports. I will pull another topic out of him, but inevitably, he somehow brings it around back. 

Normally, I am ok with this existence. Like I said before, I enjoy sports. And to his credit, he will watch his sports stuff in the bedroom if there is something I really want to watch or do in the living room instead. But there comes a time when he is on a particular sports streak (ie the Rangers are currently in the World Series) where he does nothing but sports. Help around the house? Later. Watch a movie? Maybe another time. Board game? Play Madden. Take the dogs to play? If we bring the football. This has been my past two weeks.

Sooooo.. this morning when AJ came in from PT and I was blow drying my hair, I excitedly asked if he was ready for our date night tonight (trying a new Greek restaurant and seeing Real Steel). He says,
"Yeah, about that. Can we post-pone or cancel it. Game 7 is on tonight."
Normally, I would be understanding about this. Normally it wouldn't be a problem. But I had already reminded him yesterday about our plans for Friday and I couldn't fathom another night of sports.. I look at him and levelly say, "It isn't my fault that the Rangers screwed up game 6..." 
AJ apparently doesn't hear the dark warning in my voice and decides to get out his acoustic guitar, sit next to me in the bathroom, and loudly sing a made up song about the World Series and sports in general (welcome to my world). Well, the situation didn't end well and I left with a gruff, "I love you.." this morning. 

Of course, hours later, I feel guilty and like I overreacted. I mean, it is the World Series after all and I know we will be able to go on our date night another night this weekend... But, the girlie girl part of me, the part that likes to dress up and go out and be treated to a nice fun date, completely over powered the situation. (Just to let you know, that super girlie part of me, is the least rational part of me..)
The problem my poor husband has, is that since I normally love sports too and would sit and watch the World Series with him and play Madden with him, etc., when I have reached my limit and that high maintenance girlie girl comes out in me, the poor boy is blind sided. Like this morning. (Although, I do have to point out in my defense this time, in whose world is it a good idea to loudly play the guitar next to me in the bathroom after cancelling our date??). 

So for now, I think I may offer him a compromise.. I will get all dressed up in my favorite Ranger's clothes and him and I can go have dinner at a sports bar and watch the game.. Of course, this comes with the stipulation that I get my Greek Restaurant and movie tomorrow night, and he better wear his good cologne. ;-)

1 comments:

Di said...

And this is why (among many reasons) you will never have to worry about me stealing your husband :)

I pretty much only love soccer (a live hockey game is fun though), but other than that I really don't like other sports, ESPECIALLY football. And I would die with that much sports talk :P

Post a Comment